Monday, August 13, 2007

Salem, Ma. sold its soul to the devil

I spent all day in Salem Massachusetts yesterday. After a quick ferry ride up the coast, I began my exploration of the small city. I started the day with a few museums (the Peabody Essex Museum and the Salem Witch Museum) and ended it with a short walk down Chestnut Street (known for its 200+ year old houses). Overall, it was a good experience. But I couldn't quite shake the feeling that the city was playing the witch angle just a little too much. Maybe it was the multiple haunted houses that run year-round. Or maybe it was all the souvenir shops filled to the brim with images of women riding broomsticks and men with glowing red eyes and horns on top of their heads. Maybe it was the nagging feeling that Salem Ma. sold its soul to the devil. I think I could have learned more REAL history about the Salem Witch Trials by spending just a few minutes on Wikipedia. Nevertheless, I'm glad I went there. At the very least, it was good to have an excuse to get out of the house.

1 Comments:

At November 10, 2008 at 6:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home